Firehouse museum on St Alfred and King Street in Old Town, Alexandria VA
Alexandria's first volunteer fire company established in 1774. The current firehouse was built in 1855 and houses a variety of historic firefighting equipment, including hand-drawn fire engines, leather water buckets, and sections of early rubber hose. The second-floor Meeting Room is furnished the way it was during the 19th century and is a window into Friendship's heyday as a community organization. Ceremonial objects are on display, including parade uniforms, caps, banners, and other regalia. In the 20th century, the members decided to make the firehouse into a "shrine" to George Washington, honoring him as Alexandria's greatest citizen.