The Arcade Restaurant
540 SOUTH MAIN
THE ARCADE RESTAURANT
The Arcade, Memphis’ oldest cafe opened in 1919 by Greek immigrant Speros Zepatos. The original building, a wood- en structure with a pot belly stove, burned down in 1924 and the current building dates back 1925 with hopes of later adding a hotel above the restaurant.
Most of Memphis’ servicemen in both World Wars ate their last meal at The Arcade before shipping out.
The Arcade stayed open 24 hours a day from 1919 through 1968 when a city-imposed curfew following MLK’s assas- sination forced it to close its doors after dark. Speros had to buy a lock for the door - it had never been locked in 49 years!
Speros’ grandson, Harry, now runs the restaurant as the third generation owner. Be- cause of its authentic decor, The Arcade has been featured in more than 40 movies and films!